Carbon dating bible manuscripts
A sheikh joined their conversation and suggested they take the scrolls to Khalil Eskander Shahin, "Kando", a cobbler and part-time antiques dealer.The Bedouin and the dealers returned to the site, leaving one scroll with Kando and selling three others to a dealer for 7 GBP (equivalent to US, in 2014).The original scrolls continued to change hands after the Bedouin left them in the possession of a third party until a sale could be arranged.(See Ownership.) In 1947 the original seven scrolls caught the attention of Dr. Trever, of the American Schools of Oriental Research (ASOR), who compared the script in the scrolls to that of The Nash Papyrus, the oldest biblical manuscript then known, and found similarities between them.However, a small number of well-preserved, almost intact manuscripts have survived — fewer than a dozen among those from the Qumran Caves.The 11 Qumran Caves lie in the immediate vicinity of the Hellenistic-period Jewish settlement at Khirbet Qumran in the eastern Judaean Desert, in modern Israel.In March the 1948 Arab-Israeli War prompted the move of some of the scrolls to Beirut, Lebanon, for safekeeping.
The shepherds discovered seven scrolls (See Scrolls and fragments) housed in jars in a cave near what is now known as the Qumran site. Trever reconstructed the story of the scrolls from several interviews with the Bedouin.
The term Dead Sea Scrolls refers to the Qumran Caves Scrolls – manuscripts found in the Qumran Caves near the Dead Sea, or more broadly, to manuscripts from a larger number of sites from the entire Judaean Desert, none very far from the Dead Sea.
This category includes manuscript fragments from a wider range of historical periods.
Caves 4–10 are clustered in an area lying in relative proximity 160 yards (ca.
150 metres) from Khirbet Qumran, while caves 1, 2, 3 and 11 are located 1 mile (1–2 kilometres) North, with Cave 3 being the most remote.
'Ijha returned them, saying they were worthless, after being warned that they might have been stolen from a synagogue.